More painted tunnel runts

Slowly slowly moving things along the cycle from pile of bits, to grey plastic figure, to black plastic figure to painted plastic figure.

These are the unpainted little runts I posted a while ago. I think they’ve been tweaked a little along the way – one got a mohawk for instance because that’s pretty quintessential for 40k. I actually like the look of ghoul heads with a haircut, I think it works pretty well.

On to the pictures. Four new figures and a group shot with their painted friend from before.

Eventually this group will grow to 15 of various shapes and sizes.

Advertisements

Necromunda terrain scratch builds


It’s been far too long since I posted anything but over the past few months I’ve actually been very productive. Here’s the first project that I’ve completed this year which is a set of necromunda cooling towers and associated shacks clinging to them. 

I was inspired for these by some really cool terrain on the ammobunker Inq28 forums by Starfarer and Shibboleth – their names are links to their respective threads.

I really liked the shanty town style that they were doing and wanted to put my own spin on it so I built these vertical forms.

The pictures below show them before they were first primed. 


In the main they were made from thick cardboard roughly cut up and stuck together with very thin superglue. I’m not much of a measurer when it comes to this sort of thing I tend to cut rough shapes and then trim to size.

Once the cardboard shell of each building was in place they were detailed with balsawood, more cardboard and plastic bits and plasticard. The most useful parts were corrugated cardboard bought from an art store which made for the roofing and model railway siding which provides the other type of ridged surface. Finally I had some diamond tread plating which is another type of extruded styrene sheet and is a mainstay of any sort of 40k terrain.

The details like windows and the vents came from a terrain set from Maelstrom’s Edge which was a Kickstarter that I backed. Nice pieces of chunky detail.

Finally the gantries were made from an Imex Platformer set from Pegasus Hobbies which is now unfortunately as rare as hens teeth to find. The silos are bottles with the screw cap sawed off and a little detail added with plasticard.

Enjoy!

Foldio

Taking photos of miniatures has always been a bit tricky for me. It doesn’t seem to matter how well illuminated the miniature looks to the naked eye, my photos always seem to end up either too dark or too washed out. Then they need a lot of fiddling around with before they can be posted online.

If I’m going to actually keep a blog up to date and post stuff that’s not going to work so I looked for a solution that would let me take pictures of a decent quality quickly and consistently. Enter the Foldio which gets rave reviews from various other blogs in the etsy/crafty/jewellery making/miniature photography crowd.

It’s basically a foldout plastic box that snaps together with magnets, has two LED strip lights in it, and some backing. For what it is, it’s probably not worth the cost which came to around $100 AUD including shipping. But if it saves ten minutes per image taken then that’s well worth it and it is, as described, portable and quick to set up and put away.

IMG_2992[1]
A Foldio2, yesterday
Taking photos with it has proved a little trickier though. Not terrible – just not as quick and point and-shoot as I’d hoped.

When using the default iOS Camera app (on an iPhone 6s) its natural inclination is to try and wash everything out a bit.

washedout.png
WIP space nazi

The picture above was taken on the grey background, which it washed out towards white and made the contrast in the miniature hard to see. Admittedly, such a dark miniature is a tough test maybe.

Ash Waste Nomad
Ash Waste Nomad

The picture above was done using the Camera+ app which lets you have more manual control over the exposure. In this case I lowered the ISO as low as it would go and then adjusted the shutter speed to compensate. I still think it looks a little over-exposed but better.

The best contrast was from using the black background but this also had the weird effect of bringing every tiny spec of dust into focus.

 

black

Next I’m going to work on trying to get the black background out of focus and the miniature a little less starkly lit.